It is often said, that we are own worst enemies. It’s said so often that it has become cliché. The trouble with cliché is that buried within it – is truth.
Even the best people can find themselves at war with their own interests; they throw themselves into charity work, community work, business, family, etc. and all to avoid acknowledging their own needs.
Soon, they find that nothing they do is ever “good enough.” How could it be? If you set yourself impossible targets and dive into everything and never spend so much as a second on self-care; you’re going to end up exhausted and miserable.
If this sounds like you, I want you to know – there is good news. You can make a dramatic change, today, here and now that will benefit you every day for the rest of your life. This change costs no money and is incredibly easy to do.
Thank Yourself For Being You
Seriously, that’s it. If you’re not feeling appreciated in your life; the best source of validation is not in other people – it’s in you. And if you begin by showing gratitude to yourself for being you; very soon, you’ll feel more peaceful, more cantered and more capable of tackling anything life throws at you.
Here are some tips on saying “thank you” to yourself:
- Stop beating yourself up when you’re not progressing towards a goal. Start saying “well done” for how far you have already come, instead.
- Whenever you catch yourself saying something negative about yourself, take a step back, stop and think of something positive to say. Then say it.
- Let some vanity and sincerity in. Find a mirror, right now, and go look yourself in the eye and meaningfully thank yourself for being you. “You’re awesome! Thanks for being me!” will do nicely.
- Make a list of ten qualities that you recognize in yourself as valuable and which would matter to others too. Keep that list in your pocket. If you feel down; get it out and look at it. You rock!
- Now make a list of ten times you made a positive difference in other people’s lives. Write that down too. Keep it in your bag or your wallet. Once again, if you feel blue – get it out and revel in your own hard-earned awesomeness!
- Treat yourself. If you had a partner do something special for you, you’d treat them to something nice. Well, you do something special for you every single day – take yourself out on your own and celebrate that fact.
- Make time for yourself. Seriously, you owe yourself at least 30 minutes of fun every single day of your life. Whether it’s gym time or computer game time that you crave – make room for it. Nobody ends their life wishing they’d spent more time in the office. So leave work earlier and have fun.
- When people compliment you – don’t brush it off. Instead, work out how to accept compliments with grace and kindness. Positive reinforcement from others never hurts. You are special and when people tell you so, listen and thank them for noticing.
There are many other ways for you to thank yourself for being you but this should get you started. Remember, every single person on this planet is truly amazing and you are too. Feel better, feel free and say “thank you” for everything you do for you.